Jason Sager - Cycling
Hometown: Baton Rouge, LA
Current Residence: Park City, Utah
Sport: Mountain Biking
Pro/Elite since: 2000
Date of Birth: 03/26/75
Favorite fruits: Oranges, Bananas, Apples
Favorite veggies: Carrots, Tomatoes, Sprouts, Spinach
Hobbies/Other sports: Cooking, reading, street skateboarding
1. When and why did you choose to stop eating animal products?
1992, after a week's binge on Burger King.
2. What has been your experience as a vegan athlete? Have you noticed any performance or health benefits or problems?
I only need to watch Iron levels when going to altitude for prolonged periods - an Iron supplement is necessary. I find being a vegan athlete is an asset in that so much detail is put into your diet that its only natural for meals to be of the highest quality - something imperative as an athlete.
3. Have teammates and other athletes been supportive or critical?
Everyone asks if I'm having sticks or bark for dinner.
4. A brief history of your athletic career.
8 yrs of skateboarding led to 8 yrs of road and mountain bike racing. There were a few years of overlap between the two sports - and those were the best.
5. Most memorable results or achievements.
Racing with the sport's best - Lance, Ned, Tinker, Bobke, Roland...I've slayed them at least once, sometimes only once, but that's all it takes.
6. Why did you join OA's PRO-Activist team?
To lead by example and share information.