Adam Myerson - Cycling
Hometown: Brockton, MA
Current Residence: Somerville, MA
Pro/Elite since: Cat. 1 since 1992, pro since 2003.
Date of Birth: 5/9/72
Favorite fruit: Mangos, strawberries, bananas, avocado
Favorite veggie: Sweet potatoes
Hobbies/Other sports: Playing and listening to music, observing/studying/musing on culture/style/art, saving the world from itself at my own expense.
1. When and why did you choose to stop eating animal products?
In 1989, for animal rights reasons, primarily.
2. What has been your experience as a vegan athlete? Have you noticed any performance or health benefits or problems? I have been a vegetarian almost my entire adult life and athletic career, so I have no comparison. I did lose a few pounds when I became vegan, however, and that was a nice bonus. I've been a successful field sprinter on a plant-based diet, and that's good enough for me.
3. Have teammates and other athletes been supportive or critical?
At times, critical, because it's difficult not to be a burden on your teammates when you're on the road, and some have thought at times I'd be better if I ate meat. But generally, they have been supportive and accommodating, and some are even vegetarian now.
4. A brief history of your athletic career.
I started racing in 1988 as a junior, and quickly became a category 2 and winning senior events. I floated around in the '90's trying to make a living on the US criterium circuit during an era where opportunities to turn pro were few and far between. I "semi-retired" in 1999 to start my company, Cycle-Smart, and had given up on becoming a professional. In 2003, I finally got my chance to step things up again with the Sportsbook.com Pro Cycling Team, and got a contract again this season to race for the Sharper Image/Mathis Brothers Furniture Pro Cycling Team.
5. Most memorable results or achievements.
(2003) 1st Stage 8, Phoenix Park Circuit, FBD Milk Ras, Ireland
(2003) 2nd Points Competition, Wachovia Classic, Trenton, NJ
(1997) 1st Collegiate National Cyclo-Cross Championships, Denver, CO
(1996) 1st Hobeau Hills RR, Ocala, FL (Fresca National Points Series)
(1995) 1st Downers Grove Pro Crit Champs (Cat 1/2 race), Downers Grove, IL
(1994) 1st Tour de Michigan: Waterford
(1993) 1st GS Mengoni GP, NY, NY
(1993) 1st Tour de Toona Hot Spot Competition, Altoona, PA
6. Why did you join OA's PRO-Activist team?
I joined the PRO-Activist team because I believe solidly in its mission. I feel that simply living your life in a pointed way is activism in itself, and I want to be an example for other current or potential vegan/vegetarian athletes, to show them that they're not alone and it can be done.