Tempeh "Sloppy Joe"
- 1 cup H20
- 1 cup natural ketchup (or tomato paste and fruit juice)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or molasses)
- 2 tbsp vinegar (I use apple cider)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup onion or onion powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- (you can add additional ingredients depending on the kind of sauce you like - I sometimes add pineapples and a little bit of hot sauce)
- This is usually enough sauce for a 1/2 package of LiteLife tempeh
Break up the tempeh with a fork into small pieces and brown lightly in a pan while preparing the sauce. You can get creative and throw in other vegetables with the tempeh (ex. green peppers). If using real onions, saute the onions in a sauce pan until translucent. Add the remaining ingredients and heat over medium heat. Mix in the tempeh. Serve over a bun or english muffin. I like to serve avocados with mine.