Scott Jurek - Running
Hometown: Duluth, MN
Current Residence: Seattle, WA
Pro/Elite since: 1998
Date of Birth: 10/26/73
Favorite fruit: strawberries and blueberries, in season
Favorite veggie: kale
Hobbies/Other sports: cooking, gardening, reading, yoga, cycling, hiking, trail work
1. When and why did you choose to stop eating animal products?
I started transitioning in 1997 and fully transitioned to a vegan diet by 1999. I started the transition for health reasons and continued evolving my interest and commitment for environmental reasons.
2. What has been your experience as a vegan athlete? Have you noticed any performance or health benefits or problems?
I've noticed my recovery time is quicker, my energy level is higher, and I get sick less often. I feel great, but I want to emphasize that I eat a lot of calories and don't think of my diet at all as one with limitations or restrictions. To me it's opened up a vast new realm of quality foods!
3. Have teammates and other athletes been supportive or critical?
I have to say I haven't received any criticism for my choice of foods. My performance results have only been improving, so I think it's hard to argue against my diet. The only comment I get is, "Scott, are you ever NOT eating?"
4. A brief history of your athletic career.
I started Nordic skiing when I was 16 and when I was 20 I was introduced to a 50 mile trail race from a good friend of mine. We ran and trained on the trails for Nordic skiing and the transition to trail running and racing came easily for me.
5. Most memorable results or achievements (top 5)
* Seven consecutive wins at the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run, 1999-2005, with a course record in 2004 of 15:36.
* Win and course record of 24:36 in 2005 at the Badwater Ultramarathon.
6. Why did you join OA's PRO-Activist team?
Great group of athletes supporting each other to get the message out that a vegan diet is the wave of the future for athletes and all aspiring to lead healthy lifestyles in harmony with the earth.