Christobelle's Lentil, Chick Peas and Apple Curry
- 3 cups Water
- 1 Cup uncooked Lentils (any color)
- 1 can Chick Peas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable oil or Olive Oil
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbs Curry Powder
- 1 tsp minced ginger root
- 1/3 cup of golden raisins
- 1 Tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 granny smith apple (cored and chopped)
- 2 tbsp of Cilantro or Shadow Beni chopped (Shadow Beni is a West Indian herb similar in taste to Cilantro)
Place 2 cups of water and lentils in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentils are tender but not soft (approx 25 mins). Drain properly. Stir in Chick Peas and set aside.
In a sauce pan heat oil over medium heat. Add Onion, garlic and Cilantro, saute for 3 mins. Add curry powder, ginger, saute for 1 minute. Add Lentils and Chick Pea mixture and saute for another minute. Stir in the remaining cup of water, raisins and soy sauce.
Reduce heat to low, cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid is almost absorbed stirring frequently. Stir in the chopped apples during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.